Sunday, May 9, 2010

Sunday Night/Monday Morning

I am writing this on a Sunday night, but by the time I actually click "Publish Post", I'm sure it will have changed over to Sunday morning. I always have a lot of ambitions for the weekend as far as adding new items to my Etsy and working on my overall business and creative ventures, but more often than not I get sidetracked. 

This weekend wasn't any different. Yesterday, I found myself completely free of obligation (I usually have to barista on Saturdays) and ended up in Chelsea to check out the Etsy New New Team's Handmade Craft Fair. It was interesting to see a lot of Etsy artisans set up with their work in an outdoor space where they could more directly connect with potential customers. It was clear that some artists were more experienced than others when it came to selling themselves and their work in a face to face setting. I am curious to see how I myself will fare at this task in the near future. 

Also in Chelsea on Saturday: the galleries were bustling! Currently, it is New York Gallery Week. I'm not sure how many of the galleries I visited were actually participating in the event, but the neighborhood was abuzz regardless. One of the highlights of what I saw included the "Make Yourself at Home" multi-artist exhibit put on by 7Eleven Gallery. The exhibit included many versions of rooms like those you would find in a home, but re-imagined by the artists. 


ALISON ELIZABETH TAYLOR
Tap Left On, 2009-10
Wood veneer, shellac
71 X 75 X 48 inches
Image Via www.jamescohan.com


Another striking exhibit was that of Alison Elizabeth Taylor, entitled "Foreclosed" and being shown at the James Cohan Gallery. Taylor's work is all incredibly intricate wood inlay, which is not even immediate obvious until you stand close to the pieces. Her work depicts the ruin that many homes quite often fall to after being foreclosed on. If you find yourself in Chelsea, this is definitely one to check out. 

And of course what afternoon spent in Chelsea would be complete without a stroll on the Highline? I can't wait to get back to some warm weather so I can spend some more time on the wooden lounge chairs! 


No comments:

Post a Comment